To continue my story about the Radio City contest – I was selected for the final round the requirement of which was that it had to be a rice dish and to be completed in 45 minutes.
I decided on capsicum rings with rice and vegetables stuffed in it since I did not want to go the mixed rice routine . Its easy and looks nice too! I called it ‘Ring-a Ring-a Rice. So though I did not win the prize, Iw as told my recipe would feature in their Radio City Cookbook which they will be publishing soon. So Yay to me!!!
Rice 1/4 cup
Capsicum, large 1
Garam Masala 1/4 tsp
Ajwain 1/4 tsp
Green chilly 1
Oil 2 tbsp
Salt to taste
1. Cook the rice with little extra water than you usually add so that it becomes a little soggy.
2. Fry the onions and tomatoes in 1 1/2tsp oil along with the green chilly, ajwain and garam masala
3. Cut the capsicum into roundels / rings and apply little salt to the inner side of the capsicum and keep aside
4. Once the rice and masala mixture has cooled, mix both of them nicely so that the rice has completely taken the flavour of the masala
5. Heat a tava and add oil
6. Place the capsicum rings on the tava
7. Fill the rings with the rice mixture
8. Cook on both sides till golden brown
9. Serve warm
1. The filling can be a mix of different vegetables. If you are excluding rice then you need to add potatoes so that the rest of the vegetables can be bound together
2. If you are not adding rice, then paneer can also be added.
3. If you want to add cheese, then grate it on the capsicum after the cooking is complete and the gas is switched off. Leave it covered for a couple of minutes.