The second dish for the Greek theme is a simple cornbread. While I am not a huge fan of sweet breads, this one has the magic word in it – ‘orange juice’. Anything with orange juice works wonders for me and I immediately picked this dish. It is a quick bread and so the time taken for prep is minimal and the result is a wonderful cornbread with a subtle orange flavour.
The recipe was for a 9″ pie pan but I halved it and I didn’t have a smaller pie pan. So I baked them in mini tart tins which were waiting quite a while to be inaugurated. So I got really cute little cornbreads which were so delectable.
Makes 7-8 mini cornbreads
Recipe adapted from here
WHAT WE NEED
Cornmeal 1 cup
Baking powder 1/2 tsp heaped
Sugar 2 tbsp
Orange juice 4 tbsp
Water 4 tbsp
Olive oil 2 tbsp
WHAT TO DO
- Preheat the oven to 175C
- Mix the cornmeal, sugar and baking powder in a bowl
- Mix the water, orange juice and olive oil in another bowl
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well to form a batter
- Pour into the mini tart tins till it is 3/4 full
- Bake for 30 minutes or till the toothpick inserted comes out clean
- Cool for 10 minutes
- Serve warm or at room temperature
This is my post for the Blogging Marathon under the theme, Greek dishes.