I saw this recipe this morning and I just had to make it. A small issue I faced was I neither had lemons nor poppy seeds but the bread had to be baked.
So I replaced lemons with orange and poppy seeds with sesame seeds and I was ready! I did turn out quite good though it felt more like a cake than bread i.e. it was slightly dense and not airy & light like a bread. But it tasted well and so this is a good recipe by itself.
1 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp nutmeg powder
1 1/2 tbsp sesame seeds
1 small egg
1/8 cup oil (I used sunflower oil)
1 cup cold milk
1 tbsp orange juice (I used 100% Tropicana)
1 tbsp zest (I added another 1/4 tsp since that was all I had left of my zest)
For the glaze
1/8 cup sugar
1 1/2 tbsp orange juice (again Tropicana 100%)
1. Preheat the oven to 180C
2. Grease a pan and put a parchment paper (optional) at the bottom
3. Mix all the dry ingredients (totally 8 of them)
4. Whisk the egg
5. Add oil, milk and juice to the egg
6. Mix the egg mixture with the dry ingredients with a spatula. Don’t over mix
7. The mixture will not be too watery or too stiff. Somewhere in between
8. Pour this batter in the pan and bake for 40 minutes.
9. As the baking is in progress, mix the sugar and orange juice for the glaze.
10. Slightly warm the mixture and mix till the sugar dissolves. It won’t take you more than 2-3 minutes.
11. Once the toothpick comes clear of the cake, remove it from the oven
12. Poke holes with a skewer one inch apart and pour the glaze on the cake immediately.
13. Wait for 20 minutes before cooling it on the wire rack.
1. You can use fresh orange juice as well.
2. Nutmeg powder can be replaced with cinnamon powder
3. You can replace milk with cold water as in the original recipe. I used milk because I had it and not cold water
4. Anytime you make a cake that requires a glaze, it is an essential part and cannot be done away with. If you do not want to add the glaze then you need to increase the sugar portion of the cake else it won’t taste as good.
5. I figured I may have over mixed and hence the dense nature.