This is the first day of not only the Mega Marathon where we blog on all days of the month except Sunday but it also marks the 75th run of the Blogging Marathon. Yay!
As I posted yesterday, I will be posting Bread recipes for the entire month of April. I started this blog to primarily record my adventures and misadventures in bread baking. I couldn’t bake as often as I wanted due to various reasons and so have been writing about other food as well. But I always felt I wasn’t doing justice to the name of my blog and so this month will be all about breads.
This first bread is from Slovenia and called Andover Kruh. It is made with buckwheat flour and potato and so it is dense as compared to the regular bread. But the flavour and the chewy crumb more than make up for that. So here goes –
Country of origin – Slovenia
Makes one 7″ loaf
Recipe adapted from here
WHAT WE NEED
Buckwheat flour 165 gms
All purpose flour 50 gms
Potato, medium size 1
Instant yeast 2 gms
Lukewarm water 130 ml
WHAT TO DO
- Boil the potato well and peel it.
- Mash it thoroughly and set aside
- Mix the buckwheat flour with all purpose flour and salt. Set aside
- Mix the yeast and water
- Add the flour and mashed potato to the yeast mixture and knead well for 4-5 minutes bu hand
- Keep the dough in a greased bowl for an hour or till it doubles in size.
- Knock down the dough and knead for 1-2 minutes
- Shape it into a ball and place it on the greased baking tray
- Set aside for 45 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 190C
- Bake for 40 minutes. The top should have browned well.
- Let cool completely before cutting it into slices
- Serve with butter, honey or jam
This is the Day 1 post for the April Mega Marathon starting with Letter A