The husband is so fixated on white sauce pastas that I hardly get a chance to try the others. Even when we eat out he refuses to try pesto or arabitta. So I was delighted when I chanced upon this dish.
Pasta Alla Norma is originally from Sicily, Italy. It derives its name from Vincenzo Bellini’s masterpiece opera ‘Norma’. Apparently, a Sicilian writer by the name of Nino Martoglio was so amazed when he tasted this dish that he exclaimed “This is Norma” (in Italian, I guess) and hence the name.
I have no idea how the opera was but at the risk of sounding immodest, I have to say this is one of the best pasta dishes I have tasted. It’s a must try!
The best part of the recipe is that it’s simple and the ingredients would usually be available in our fridge and pantry. I have adapted my recipe from this one.
WHAT WE NEED
200 gms eggplant
4 medium to large tomatoes
1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 clove of garlic, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
200 gms spaghetti
Fresh rosemary to taste (3-5 leaves)
Dried oregano to taste
salt and pepper to taste
Grated Parmesan cheese to garnish
WHAT TO DO
- Cut the eggplant into cubes, salt them and set aside for half hour to draw out water.
- Make slits in the tomatoes and add them to boiling salted water for 5 minutes to blanch them
- Once the skin on the tomatoes loosen, peel them and chop them
- Drain the water from the eggplant and dry them on paper towels for a few minutes
- Add the oil in a frying pan and saute the onion and garlic.
- Add the eggplant, tomatoes, salt and pepper and cook for 15 minutes
- Cook the spaghetti in salted boiling water and when cooked, toss it with the sauce.
- Add Rosemary and dried oregano and mix well
- Grate some cheese on top and serve.
- I used spaghetti. You can use any other pasta like fusilli or penne
- You can use canned tomatoes or tomato purée instead of fresh tomatoes
- From what I read, basil was the most recommended herb for this dish. I didn’t have and hence the Rosemary.
- The traditional dish uses ricotta.
This is my post for the Blogging Marathon hosted by Srivalli.