I picked this lovely book – The Accidental Vegetarian by Simon Rimmer. The title intrigued me to an extent and I could relate to it because I consider myself a default vegetarian.
One issue I have is that I don’t get all ingredients here and so I keep trying to make a best case substitutions but this recipe did not need any substitutions and it turned out quite wonderful. I never thought of combining beetroot with sprouts before but it does seem to be a good idea.
So here goes –
WHAT WE NEED
2 medium sized beetroots
250g cooked sprouts
1 tbsp olive oil
pinch of chilli flakes
1 garlic clove
crushed salt and freshly ground black pepper
WHAT TO DO
- Wash and peel the beetroots. Dice them into bite sized pieces and steam till they are cooked but not soft.
- Cook the sprouts in a pressure cooker till they are cooked but not mushy.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan until hot. Simply chuck in the sprouts, let them fry for a minute to begin browning, then give them a shake.
- Now add the beetroot, chilli and garlic into the pan. Cook for a couple of minutes, then season really well with salt and pepper.
- As per the original recipe, the beetroots had to be wrapped in foil and roasted in the oven at 200C for 40 minutes till soft. I didn’t have the time and so I simply steamed it and it still turned out very well.
This is my entry for the Cooking from the Cookbook Challenge hosted by Srivalli.